Tuesday 14 September 2010

The Hole in The Wall. Go there.

Tonight, me and my dear friend Rene (http://www.renehumphrey.blogspot.com/) were invited for cocktails and canapes at The Hole in The Wall in Bath, to promote their new chef. I've never been here before, and was impressed with the cosy atmosphere-the restaurant is basically in the basement of an old Georgian building-the attentiveness of the staff, and of course the food. Oh my god, the food. Canapes are normally so disappointing at these things, but we came away feeling like we'd had a full meal.
On arrival we had a choice of either a peach or strawberry Bellini. Our glasses were then duly topped up with Champagne throughout the night, never running completely empty (and trust me, we can drink a glass of Champagne quickly!)



And then. Best. Canapes. Ever.
Blinis with cured salmon, horseradish cream and caviar. Potted Bath rabbit on toasted bread with date chutney. Beetroot Carpaccio with goats cheese mousse. Smoked wild pigeon with a blue cheese veloute and slow-baked plum on an oatcake. Fried crab cake with a surf clam and aoili. Seriously.







Just when we thought that was it (and actually feeling quite full) out came the "main course". A deliciously slow-cooked and sticky pork belly, with potato dauphinoise, braised red cabbage and crackling. There was also some venison with parsnip mash going around but it didn't make it to us..I was tempted to have seconds on the pork. Don't worry, I restrained myself.



Dessert canape: a chocolate, cherry, brandy and amaretti pot with a pistachio tuille biscuit.


This was truly adorable-a help yourself "sweet shop" when you left, with classic sweets the chefs had made in the kitchen, including sugar mice, cola bottles, turkish delight and a rainbow chocolate button. Oh and a goody bag with a small bottle of wine, vouchers and other goodies. They really made us feel spoiled.




I can't recommend this place highly enough. Now, when have I got an excuse to go out for dinner...

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds a great night Jess... I used to work there many moons ago..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...