Sunday 9 October 2011

Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Pork with Homemade Coleslaw

So I think I under-estimated how much time of my life would now be spent studying! At least every now and then I still get to really dedicate some time to cooking something special, and this pulled pork recipe had been on my mind for a while. It also gave me the chance to finally use my slow cooker that lurks around in my kitchen, waiting patiently for it's big moment. Yes it takes a long time, but you can just leave it and get on with your life, then return to a beautiful porky sight.



Here is the recipe I used for the pulled pork: Barbecue Pulled Pork . It served four of us. You basically need to slow cook the pork for about 6 hours, then shred it with two forks, add the BBQ sauce, and return it to the slow cooker for about another hour. But click the link for the full recipe.



I made my own BBQ sauce, based on a few different recipes I had found and tweaked to my own taste and ingredients I had in my cupboard! It was delish and here's how you can make it:




Pour 2 cups of tomato ketchup into a saucepan (nb: 1 american cup is equal to 250ml)




Add 2tbsp red wine vinegar, 2tbsp dark brown sugar, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, 3/4 cup of water, 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, salt and pepper and a 1tsp honey. Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for about 20 minutes until you have a nice thick sauce. you can always add a drop more water if you think it is too thick. Taste and adjust if neccessary - you want a nice balance, of sweet, sour and spice. Now it's ready to use!


I served my pork with crusty white buns and homemade coleslaw.





To make a simple coleslaw (that will be better than anything you can buy in a tub):




Finely chop half a small white cabbage and add to a large mixing bowl. Now add 2 large peeled and grated carrots, and 1 finely sliced large white onion. Pour over 1tbsp of white wine vinegar and mix through with your hands. Add 2-3 tbsp of mayonnaise and stir through. Season to taste.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...