4oz softened butter (make sure it's really soft)
6oz self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
6oz golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
6 tbsp milk
finely grated rind of a large unwaxed lemon
For the Icing:
juice of a large lemon
4oz golden caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/gas mark 4.
- Line a tin measuring approximately 9" x 8" with baking parchment.
- Tip all cake ingredients into large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes; the mixture will drop easily off of the spoon. Spoon mixture into tin and smooth with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden & firm to the touch.
- Prick the cake all over with a wooden skewer.
- Beat together the icing ingredients, and pour over the cake while it is still hot. The heat of the sponge will help it to absorb some of the icing, making it increidbly moist.
- Cool in the tin and cut into squares.