Wednesday 24 October 2012

Sausage and 'Veggie Drawer' Fry Up

I agree, the name sounds hideously unappealing doesn't it? But it explains my point, because I have cooked a variant of this dish on many occasions, according to what's lurking in my vegetable drawer when it's coming to the end of my weekly shop.
The basic principle is frying up some form of leftover meat in an oiled frying pan - sausage, chorizo, bacon or pancetta work particularly well. When the meat is almost cooked, add a chopped garlic clove, a grinding of dried chilli flakes and whatever vegetable you have managed to forage. Tonight I used mixed mushrooms and curly kale. You'll now want to fry this for about 5-6 minutes, depending on what veg you are using.
Now, crack in a couple of eggs and cook until the whites are set but (essential!) the yolk is still runny.
This would actually make a great brunch dish, too. But tonight, feeling ill and very sorry for myself, I ate this under a blanket whilst flicking through cookbooks, with the cat on my lap. You don't have to be quite so tragic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...