Thursday 17 January 2013

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bread

There are many things in my life that I'm feeling thankful for right now. I'm thankful for having a beautiful son who brings me joy and wonder every single day. I'm thankful for my loving boyfriend who fills my life with laughter and affection. I'm thankful for my adorable family, and friends who energise and inspire me. 

But let's just take a minute to be thankful for the holy trinity that is chocolate, peanut butter and banana. 


Now there aren't many banana bread recipes out there that take the bold step of combining all three of these glorious ingredients, so I had to do a bit of tweaking and re-tweaking to create my own recipe.

This is the banana bread to end all banana breads.

Except maybe this one, which has bourbon in it. Now that's just silly!

I've used the American cup system of measurement here, as that was mostly what I had to work with. It also makes things really easy if you're feeling in a lazy baking mood, so I recommend getting yourself some measuring cups if you don't have them already.

ANYWAY. Here's the ingredients list:

1/2 cup wholemeal flour (vaguely healthy)
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 bananas
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy)
100g dark or milk chocolate
(beaten brutally into chunks with a rolling pin)


First, mash your bananas. If you've never mashed a banana, here's a helpful demo from my sous chef.


Now add to your bananas the milk, egg, peanut butter and vanilla. Mix well.

In a larger bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients - that's the flours, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine.

Add the chocolate chunks, and fold gently through with a metal spoon.

Now pour into a lined loaf tin, and bake in an oven pre-heated to 180°C, for 35-40 minutes. 


 Mine took just over 40 minutes, but check on the bread after 35 minutes as ovens do vary.

Insert a skewer into the centre and if it comes out clean, it's ready.



Leave to cool for as long as you can physically bear to. It's delicious warm but tastes almost better when it's been left to cool and firm up.

It tastes great the next day and will keep for around 2 days.

It really won't last that long though!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...