Tuesday 21 May 2013

London

I should probably apologise for my recent absence on here! I've been busy finishing my exams for second year, so have been something of a recluse with my head stuck in a pile of books and a pen permanently in hand - or so it feels, anyway.
Thankfully it's all over, and we were able to enjoy a child-free weekend away in London. OK, perhaps it was a little premature to celebrate seeing as we actually went a couple of days before my final exam. But in my defence, my boyfriend bought us tickets months ago at Christmas to see Lana Del Ray at the Hammersmith Apollo. So who was I to say no?

We always check out Soho when we're visiting, although this time we forewent our usual cake stop at Hummingbird Bakery on Wardour Street for its next door neighbour, L'Eto Caffe. Although the interior won't win any awards for its simple design, the cakes sell themselves. We found it hard to choose from a selection including fruit tarts, meringues, carrot cake, cheesecakes and brownies; and the drinks selection was just as vast with a choice of leaf teas, fresh juices, smoothies and even cocktails.  A definite must visit if you're in the area.



We stayed close to Notting Hill, so spent a lovely couple of days strolling around, people watching, checking out the Portobello Market on Saturday, shopping for vintage and hanging out in pubs and cafes. The sun even came out for us, which is something of a rarity these days.

On Saturday night we treated ourselves to dinner at The Electric on Portobello Road, where I had what can only be described as the best Steak Bearnaise of my life. In fact it was so good I didn't even manage to get a decent picture of it - we couldn't wait to get stuck in! Washed down with a bottle of wine and a few Mojitos, we then danced it off at the nearby Trailer Happiness. A great night, which we certainly suffered for the next day.









 

The Castle, Notting Hill - the perfect place to stop for a pint and a bar snack. 


I'm usually quite happy to leave the bustle of London - but this time, I can't wait to go back. Although maybe that's just the effect of the sunshine. Or the drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...