Wednesday 15 December 2010

Baked Mushroom and Thyme Risotto

Tonight was a bad combination of not having much food in the house, and having very little energy to do anything about it. Luckily I always keep some risotto rice in the cupboard. But was I going to stand at my hob stirring it for half an hour? Hhmm don't think so.
So I thought I'd try baking it in the oven-something I'd considered doing before but hadn't risked it. Well I was feeling a little crrrazy tonight-and it paid off!

Start the risotto on the hob, as you normally would, but be sure to use an ovenproof pan.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter. Add one finely chopped onion and one chopped garlic clove, and soften for 5 minutes. Add a few handfuls of chopped mixed mushrooms (I used Chestnut and Oyster) and about 200g risotto rice. Also add approx 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme. Cook for about 2 minutes.
Pour in 3/4 litre organic vegetable stock, bring to the boil, then put a lid on and pop in an oven heated to 180'C for about 45 minutes. Check on it after 20 minutes, give it a stir and top up with water if necessary.
Serve with parmesan and a smug, relaxed smile. Easy risotto!


I was pleased with the results, although I don't think this method will ever taste as good as when you've sweated a bit over the hob. But it's a good one to have up your sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...