Friday 26 November 2010

Rachel Allen's Mincemeat

I love a challenge. And I'm usually too nice to say no to people. So when I was asked to make 100 mince pies for a special Christmas late night shopping event at the boutique where I work in Bath, there was only one thing for it! So Toby and I had a day of baking yesterday, which of course he loved. I did have to play some Christmas music to get me in the mood though!


I used a mincemeat recipe from Rachel Allen's Bake cookbook-a book which hasn't yet let me down, and this recipe was no exception. It really is simple, and makes 2.7kg of mincemeat. That was enough for me to fill my mini mince pies, and a 1ltr kilner jar which will keep in the cupboard until nearer Christmas. In fact, the flavours improve over time (it will actually keep for a year!) so ideally you should make this a few weeks before use. What are you waiting for??


Here's what you need:
2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 ranges and 2 lemons
250g shredded suet (I used vegetable)
275g raisins
275g sultanas
275g currants
125g candied peel, chopped
650g soft dark brown sugar
50g chopped almonds or pecans
2 tsp mixed spice
75ml whiskey or brandy (I used whiskey)
Place the apple chunks in a small saucepan with 1 tsp water, cover and cook for 8-10 mins until the apples are cooked down to a pulp. Leave to cool.
Now mix all the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the apple mixture.
Put into sterilised jars and (ideally) leave for at least two weeks before using.
If you're more disorganised, like me, then use straightaway. It will still taste deleicious.
We used ready-made shortcrust pastry to make our pies, which we rolled then cut out cirlces to fit our mini muffin trays. This is where Toby came in very handy.

Line the holes of the tray with the larger circle, fill with a tsp of mincemeat and top with one of the smaller rounds. If you are so inclined, you could cut out small stars to top the pies instead.
Brush the tops of the pies with beaten egg, and bake in an oven pre-heated to 200'C/Gas 6 for 10-13 minutees until pale golden. Leave to cool.
You can't argue that these certainly look...home-made!
Sprinkle with sugar or dust with icing sugar,and serve.



They went down well with the customers, although I'm sure the free bubbly also helped. It was a great evening though, and be sure to check out the shop's websites:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...