Sunday 18 April 2010

Going Greek in Wales

This week we spent a lovely few days in Aberysywyth, Wales. There is some stunning scenery and coastline in this area, but unfortunately it seemed to be lacking in decent fish restaurants (unless you count fish and chips!) So for Tim's birthday meal we went to a cosy little greek restaurant called The Olive Branch. All the food was homemade and was definitely the real deal. I've been inspired to try more Greek recipes at home, so I'll keep you posted on how that goes!

For starters we had a dip called Melintzanosalata served with homemade bread. The dip is made with pureed roasted aubergine, garlic, oregano and olive oil. We also had some deep fried pastry sticks filled with feta, spring onions and coriander. I must try making this dip, it was gorgeous!
Main course was chicken in a tomato and ouzo sauce for Tim, and I had king prawns cooked in garlic and white wine, with rice and salad. My prawns were fat and juicy, just how I like them!











For dessert we had traditional baklava, which consists of layers of filo pastry,chopped nuts, honey and syrup, topped with crushed pistachios. I first had these in Turkey and since then have found it hard to find a decent authentic version.These were perfect. And very sweet!

Much to Tim's embarassment, the waiters used these candles that I gave them, turned off all the lights and everyone in the restaurant sang Happy Birthday.
I've never seen him go so red!















Afterwards we enjoyed a drink in a nearby wine bar. Tim had a local welsh ale and I chose my favourite cocktail, a Cosmopolitan. A cliche perhaps but a goodie. As the Sex And The City Girls said: "Delicious! Why did we stop drinking these?" "Because everybody else started".
















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...