For breakfast we had toasted soda bread (brought all the way from Ireland!), my blueberry muffins, and strawberries. Here's how to make the muffins (makes 12):-
75g unsalted butter
200g plain flour
75g caster sugar
1/2tsp bicarb of soda
2tsp baking powder
200g blueberries, washed
grated rind of 1/2 lemon (optional)
a 12-hole cake tray and paper cases
1) Melt the butter on a low heat in the microwave. Leave to cool. Preheat oven to 200'C.
2) Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the rest of dry ingredients, and stir to mix.
3) In a measuring jug, beat together the milk, egg and melted butter.
4) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, then gently mix together with a metal spoon. Make sure you use a light hand and don't overmix it, as this will result in tough muffins. Don't worry about any lumps and bumps.
5) Fold in the blueberries, again keeping the mixing to a minimum.
6) Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Best eaten fresh from the oven!