The recipe for these meatballs came from a cookbook of meals for Toby- they're extra healthy as they contain apple. Then I added some pre-roasted red peppers to my usual tomato sauce to add an extra dimension. Delicious. This served 2 of us four meatballs each, plus 12 mini meatballs for three freezable portions for Toby. Otherwise it would serve 4 adults, making 16 large meatballs in total.
For the meatballs
450g pork mince
1 small apple, peeled and grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
25g fresh white breadcrumbs (whizz 1/2 slice white bread with a hand held blender)
1 tbsp olive oil for frying
For the sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
3 roasted red peppers from a jar
1) Put the pork mince in a bowl and mix in the apple, garlic, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper. Shape into meatballs, cover and chill for 10 mins while you make the sauce:
2) Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan and add the onion. Cook gently for 3 mins. Tip in the tomatoes, fill the can halfway up with water and add this, along with the peppers and some seasoning. Cover and simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
3)Heat oil in a large frying non-stick frying pan, and fry the meatballs for just over 5 mins, until lighty browned all over. Set aside and keep warm.
4) Cook your spaghetti according to instructions.
5) Whizz the tomato sauce with a hand held blender, until fairly smooth. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 mins, until cooked through.
6) Drain spaghetti. Drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking. Divide onto plates or bowls.
Top with the meatballs and sauce, and some parmesan, if you like.
If you want to use half this recipe for kids, or just to have between two of you another time, leave to cool completely before freezing in portions.